wallpaper

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Slow Cooker Pork Caranadas

I love my Slow Cooker. Some weeks it's all I use. This week I did a minor freezer prep with a beautiful .99 cents a pound pork butt I purchased. ( Don't be grossed out, pork butt is not an actual BUTT, there is not squiggly pink tail on it, it's part of the shoulder blade)

This is my new favorite pork recipe. I am proud to say I actually created it myself!  I love to serve it over rice.



Ingredients:

2 pound pork shoulder or pork butt
1 medium onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1-4oz. can mild diced green chiles
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons Thrifty Rose's Homemade Adobo Rub:

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1  teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt (optional)
  • (This will create more than 2 tablespoons of rub, store remaining rub, sealed in a dated, labeled, container or plastic bag in a cool dry place for future use)

Directions:

Mix spices for Adobo Rub. Season pork with rub. In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Pour chicken broth in the crockpot, add bay leaves and onion. Place pork ontop of onions and cover. Cook low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the tasty juices that accumulated at the bottom. Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and pepper as needed (you will probably need to add more). Let it cook another 15-30 minutes. 

Serving Suggestion: Wrap in warmed tortillas with shredded cheese, tomatoes and avocado or simply over rice!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment